Translator

Sunday 23 June 2013

Iguazu

This was taken in  Buenos Aires with my friend Nele from Germany
I haven't written in a really long time, with all the travelling and making the most of my last month here in Argentina. So this post I'm going to write about the vacation I took last month to the Iguazu falls. Like the other trip that I took to the glacier, it's impossible not to have the time of your life when you're with a bunch of other exchange students who practically feel like family. The trip started in Buenos Aires which always leaves me fascinated with the culture it holds, the colourful houses, the tango in the streets with fancy costumes and how incredibly modern the city is.

The next day we left for the city, Puerto Iguazu from where one has access to the Iguazu falls(one of the 7 natural wonders of the world) which forms the border between Argentina and Brazil. The Iguazu Falls are absolutely beautiful, to actually get to it, you have to trek a good one hour but all in all, definitely worth the wait.
Now let me get to the most exciting part, once you take trek for a little longer and a little deeper into the jungle, you get a fantastic view of the "Graganta del Diablo" which translates the Devil's throat. It's called the way it is because you walk on a manmade passage that is built over the river which seems calm and peaceful, till you reach a point where it just drops. And all you feel is mist, lots of it. The water falls, 80 meters and completely wets your clothes. And honestly the sensation is SO overwhelming. Personally, I couldn't catch my breath for a split second, and I just stood there speechless and I'm not exaggerating, speechless. For about 15 minutes I was mesmerized , overwhelmed with tears flowing down my cheeks. I don't even know why I got so emotional! But I did.




The next way we went to Brazil to see a show of the different dances from all the countries of Latin America. And we drank the traditional vodka based drink of Brazil, the black women were absolutely beautiful and it goes without saying that the people were over-friendly.

Brazil's view
The next day in Brazil we went to see the waterfalls, which is Argentina's property. What you see from the other side is a panoramic view of the falls, beautiful but still does not compare to the "Gragnta del Diablo". There was a rainbow in the middle of the scene which just made it all the more dramatic. The funny part is being in a country that has so much natural beauty has gotten me used to it. 




We then went to the border which seperates 3 countries, Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay,which  isn't common obviously.  The little pillar in the background of the picture which is painted red, white ad blue is the flag of Paraguay. 

Adrenaline pumping would be an understatement of the next activity. Still at Brazil, we went rafting in a rubber boat called "gomon". Me being the person I am, sat myself at the front of the gomon. We then starting rafting down the river, till we reached the falls, and then literally went under the waterfalls, the least powerful one ofcourse. It's probably the most dangerous thing I've done my life. 


At the end of the day I feel like the friends I made here, with whom I spent only a couple of weeks with will always be like my unbiological family. 





4 comments:

  1. Funny that you haven't spelled "Garganta del Diablo" right even once. Are you really that bad at speaking/writing spanish?

    This nice comment was made by one of your very best friends who you love very much. Can you gues who I am?..

    Btw: I want my clothes back!

    Shit... Just found out, that you can see my profile and my name when I post the comment.. Oh... Soo... Yeah just give me my clothes back, learn how to spell "Garganta del Diablo" and come please to Rosario tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, you're right. NOOO! I'll probably come with Ida if we're doing the movie plan. If not, you guys are invited home! Its not my fault you forgot your clothes and never remind me. DOLL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't belive you just called me "DOLL" in a public place like this. I will soon murder you. But first I need my clothes.. So movies on thursday sounds great!

    ReplyDelete