Translator

Monday 24 June 2013

22, and it's rolling

Journey's coming to an end. Am I sad? No. Am I happy? No. Am I a mess? Yes.
Remember how I mentioned in the very beginning when  I started my blog, when I reached Argentina, and it was all a blur for about a month? It's happening all over again, the emotions, the nostalgia, the roller coaster basically. But only this time, it's the other way round. I can't stop thinking about how I'm going to miss all the things that took me so long to get used to, the mate, the siestas, and the winter.


I had a picture painted in my mind of how things are going to be when I go back home, being back with my friends and family after a year. Eating my grandma's food every Sunday and going to school and having a blast with all my friends in biology class. Just to give you an idea, this is my family from India in traditional clothes. And all this came crashing down with my last orientation I had a few weeks ago. Orientation helps the exchangers to come to terms with the culture shock and guides us through the year with the highs and lows. The orientation was definitely a low. All the volunteers who have already been on the exchange programme , told us about how the most difficult part of your year is when you go back home. About how you've grown so much as a person and possibly people won't be able to relate to the adventure that you've been through in this hell of a year. But I guess with all this being said, at the end of the day you have some of the best memories in the most beautiful places, with some amazing people which can't be taken away from you, no matter what.


Now that I've described my life in India a little bit, let me tell you about my family in Argentina. My host dad has a passion for food, and has collected spices from all over the world. I don't think I've tasted a single dish that I haven't liked in the past 4 months. Even if he threatens me to feed me beef sometimes. I have immense respect for my mum because (forgive my language) she works her ass off. My brother, being like any younger sibling is "rompe bolas" (annoying). But sometimes I get back home after a hard day and he gives me a tight hug and tells me that he loves me.Victoria is my host sister who means the world to me, but you don't want to get too close if she's angry.

LIST OF THINGS I WOULDN'T HAVE NORMALLY DONE (if not for exchange)
At the football finals, they weren't kidding when they said football is religion!
  • Trekked on a glacier
  • Rafted under the waterfalls of Brazil
  • Have a family on the other side of the world
  • Become a tango dancer
  • Had a celebrity chef cook for me
  • learnt a foreign language.

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment